User Roles define what areas of the system Users can access.
A User Role enables you to set up Permissions / Access to certain areas of the system. You then assign that Role to a User. This way, it's easy to give a group of similar users the same permissions.
If you have a user that you want to give a particular set of permissions i.e. Access to the Invoicing and Payments area for your accounts Department, you will need to create a New Role for that particular user and if in the future another user needs those same permissions, you can just assign them to the same role. (You wont need to recreate the role)
To create a Role you can follow the steps below;.
CREATE A NEW ROLE
- From the Settings menu, select User Roles, then click Create new Role on the right hand side.
- In the space provided enter a name for the Role.
- Now click Save
- Next click the Permissions tab to select the level of permissions you want to set for each area of the system.
By adjusting the Permissions on a User Role you can easily manage what people in the organisation can do within WhosOffice.
Once you have created a USER ROLE - you can then assign permissions to that User Role. Users/Staff are assigned to the user role via the Users section under Settings, in addition they are assigned to a role when they are added onto the system either individually or via the Bulk Upload spreadsheet.
The default User Roles on initial setup are ADMINISTRATOR, APPROVER and STAFF.
- Calendar Feed - Allows people with this role to setup and subscribe to their own calendar feeds. (the user can choose to include any Groups that they can see)
- Staff Reports - Allows people with this role to access reports (this is not commonly associated with any Staff level roles, mainly for Approvers / Administrators).
- View Work - Access the Work views for the groups that they can see.
- Work Planner - Access and use the Work Planner for any groups that they can see - [including Read Only Option] - Additional permission to this allows people with access to the Planner the ability to maintain their own work schedule.
- Work in past, after leave booked? - Allows the user to plan / adjust work in the past when leave has been booked.
- Task Planner - Allows the users access to the Task Planner where they can plan / adjust tasks for Groups that they can See [including Read Only option] - this is an add on module, therefore only applicable if the module is switched on
- View Tasks - Allows the users to view any Tasks that have been allocated to them as well as any Groups that they can see.
- Pattern Codes - Access and administer Pattern Codes - [including Read Only Option]
- Work Patterns - Access and administer Work Patterns - [including Read Only Option]
- Work Attributes - Access and administer Work Attributes - [including Read Only Option]
- View/Request leave - Access the Leave views for the groups they can see and request leave for themselves.
- View Pending leave - Access to view/approve/decline any Pending leave for staff members who they are set to approve leave for.
- Leave Admin - Allow users to Manage and Request leave on behalf of any Staff member in the GROUPS they can see.
- Leave Management (For Approvers) - Allows users to Manage leave on behalf of the Staff that they APPROVE FOR.
- Leave Types - Access to administer the Leave Types - [including Read Only Option]
- Allowance Pots - Access to administer the Allowance Pot names - [including Read Only Option]
- Leave Policies - Access to administer the Leave Policies - [including Read Only Option]
- User Leave Allowances - Access to administer user Leave Allowances - [including Read Only Option]
- View Events - Allows access to view the Events Calendars for the user's Group or Region
- Events - Access to administer the Events - [including Read Only Option]
- View/Request overtime - Access to request overtime, and view their own overtime records, and view overtime requests for Groups that they can see, dependant on the Overtime Type settings.
- View Pending overtime - Access to view/approve/decline any pending overtime for staff members for whom they are set to approve for - [including Read Only option]
- Overtime Admin - Allow users to register overtime on behalf of the Staff in the GROUPS they can see.
- Overtime Management (for Approvers) - Allow users to manage overtime on behalf of the staff members they are set to approve for.
- Overtime Types - Access to administer Overtime Types - [including Read Only option]
The below Permissions are generally only associated with individuals who are able to manage company settings and Users within the company, not likely to be associated with Staff and Approvers.
- Company Alerts - Allows the user to manage any Company Alerts, with the option to distribute them via Email [includes Read Only option]
- Regions - Allows the user access to the Reports interface where they will be able to run multiple reports on Work, Leave, Overtime and staff directory information for staff that they can SEE.
- Groups - Allows the user to create and manage any company Groups within the system, they will only be able to manage Groups that they can SEE
- User Management - This area grants them access to the User Management interface where they can adjust basic user details for any user that they can SEE within the system, they cannot adjust Allowances unless they also have the User Leave Allowances permission within the Leave permissions section.
- User Roles - Allows the user access to Edit / Create user roles within the system and customise their permissions.
- Rules - Allows the user to create and manage any Rules that have been established within the system i.e. Min Group Levels, Staff Restrictions. Users with access to this area will be able to manage any Rules that have been created for any Groups within the system, even if they cannot SEE that group.
- Company Details - Allows the user to customise default company settings, email tools and integrations within the application.
- Invoicing and Payments - Grants the user access to the finance side of the system including the updating of payment details, billing address and viewing / extracting invoices.
HR (only accessible when the HR module is active on the company account)
- My Cases - Allows the user to access and take action on any Cases that have been assigned to them / require their attention
- My Documents - Allows the user to access and view any documents associated with their profile (they cannot Edit these documents)
- My Emergency Contacts - Allows the user to view or maintain their Emergency Contacts, this can be granted to either Full Access or Read Only
- My Benefits & Memeberships - Allows the user to view any Benefits or Memberships that have been attributed to their profile
- My Training/Qualifications & Licences - Allows the user to view any Training, Qualifications or Licence records that have been created on their profile
- My Personnel Data - Via My Details / Settings, the user can view / edit their own personnel data.
- Emergency Contacts Directory - Allows the user to view the Emergency Contacts for other staff that they can SEE (they will not be able to see everyone's details, only the staff that they are set to SEE)
- Case Handler - If this permission has been granted, this user can be assigned as a Case Handler when applying Cases to specific Users / Groups, this will also grant them access to Pending Cases
- Personnel Data Management - Grants the user access to the Personnel Records, with Full Access they will also be able to Edit / Delete any information stored on the record, this can also be set to Read-only.
- Case Management - Allows the user to start / update or view any cases for staff members that they can SEE.
- Document Management - This allows the user to Add, Remove or Edit any documents that have been applied via the Document Admin section of the HR Menu (this permission alone does not give the user access to the Personnel Records where documents can also be uploaded)
- Category Management - Allows the user to maintain and create categories within the HR module
- Case Template Management - Allows the user to build and adjust any case templates that can be then applied to specific users or groups
Title: User Roles
Posted: Monday, 08th Dec 2014
By: Phil Cross
Direct link: https://www.whosoffice.com/support/knowledgebase/roles
View all knowledgebase articles